FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

SWAT 4 in game list not working

<<

Sokol

Major
Major

Post Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:03 pm

SWAT 4 in game list not working

I was visiting AST forum when I read something not so pleasing. I've checked it myself and it is true, the in game browser list is not showing anything.
Direct IP and Xfire works fine though.

In addition to swat 4 not working, other games's master servers stopped responding: http://www.ign.com/boards/threads/games ... 452700240/

What do you think about all this?
"You might think you know everything there is to know about me.. But really, you're not even close."
<<

captain

Captain
Captain

Post Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:58 pm

Re: SWAT 4 in game list not working

Let's hope it is just a temporary problem, the fact that other games are not responding gives me hope that this is some kind of system glitch. I'll check more about it and see what I can find.
<<

Hunter

Colonel
Colonel

Post Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:21 pm

Hmm... very unpleasant to see thing like this one. I do not know what kind of problem it is, probably no one does at this time, which isn't good indeed.

Maybe someone managed to hack/bug server list? I know it sounds a bit weird and ridiculous, but it's possible somehow imo. If there is a server that gives information about itself in some weird syntax or so, It could manage server list bug.

By the way, Raptor mentioned some 'master server' im his post. What does he mean exactly?
<<

Sokol

Major
Major

Post Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:37 pm

I'm not quite sure on that one but my guess would be some sort of a server at gamespy? which handles the list in swat4.
"You might think you know everything there is to know about me.. But really, you're not even close."
<<

captain

Captain
Captain

Post Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:51 pm

just sent an e-mail, to Gamespy. Hoping for a response, and an answer soon.
<<

Raptor

Clan Friend
Clan Friend

Post Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:34 pm

When a swat game server is started it announces/registeres itself at a central server called master server. When you start the game and click multiplayer, your computer connects to the master server and receives a list of currently active game servers. So basically the master server keeps track of the active game servers to allow clients a fast and easy connect. Almost all games work this way in the internet. Without master server you (usually) can still run game servers but no one will get a nice ingame server list. Furthermore the masterserver can do copyright stuff like checking CD-keys.

@Captain: I'm still not sure who runs the master server for swat4, guess it is (was) gamespy. I made a post in their forum: http://www.ign.com/boards/threads/games ... 452700240/
<<

captain

Captain
Captain

Post Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:10 pm

I'm pretty sure it is gamespy. The in-game list even says "powered by gamespy", so I assumed they were the ones running it. I sent them an e-mail asking for an explanation, but I haven't heard back yet.
<<

Raptor

Clan Friend
Clan Friend

Post Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:21 pm

But there is kinda confusing post in their forum stating: "IGN and Gamespy no longer own Gamespy Technologies as of 2012 August 6" ( http://www.ign.com/boards/threads/cant- ... 452589253/ )
So I'm not sure if they still are responsible for swat.
<<

captain

Captain
Captain

Post Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:29 pm

Gamespy Tech is a different group from the normal Gamespy. I just got an e-mail response from Gamespy's Editor in Chief explaining to me that I was looking for help from the wrong gamespy. He even admitted that it was confusing.

thankfully he provided me with a link to the right website and I sent the e-mail again to Gamespy Tech. I got a confirmation e-mail right after, so now I just need to wait for a response.

I will provide you all with the link to Gamespy Tech's contact page. http://www.poweredbygamespy.com/about/
<<

Mohit

Post Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:52 pm

Guys there is a windows update.So server will get back in list maybe tommorow
<<

Sokol

Major
Major

Post Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:09 pm

Mohit wrote:Guys there is a windows update.So server will get back in list maybe tommorow

I hope you are right about this one. By the way, where did you get this information?
<<

Hunter

Colonel
Colonel

Post Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:33 pm

I'm not quite sure Windows Update has something to do with this issue. But if it's going to fix it... I cannot wait it's release.
<<

captain

Captain
Captain

Post Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:13 pm

I sure hope this windows update is the cause. How exactly did you come across this? And what exactly did it say?
<<

Sokol

Major
Major

Post Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:22 pm

Quote from Darker:
--------------------------------------------------------
ITS|Darker: Gamespy server down
ITS|Darker: forever
ITS|Darker: no more master server list for swat 4
ITS|Darker: spread the word
ITS|Darker: vanilla and TSS
Sokol: Where you got that info?
Sokol: link me if possible
ITS|Darker: http://www.gamespyarcade.com/support/
ITS|Darker: http://www.ign.com/boards/threads/games ... 452701858/
Sokol: Well this sucks..
ITS|Darker: also
ITS|Darker: http://www.ign.com/boards/threads/cant- ... 452589253/
ITS|Darker: August 6
ITS|Darker: gamespy technologies has been sold
ITS|Darker: Gamespy arcde
ITS|Darker: no longer supported
ITS|Darker: you can still play using direct IP
ITS|Darker: We are gathering all the swat 4 vanilla ip
ITS|Darker: to put them on our website
---------------------------------------------------

:cry:
<<

captain

Captain
Captain

Post Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:43 pm

Damn it!

Well now the question is: where do we go from here?

It looks like we may be able to save our servers with Darker's suggestion. Have you given him our IP yet?

This is going to make it tough to bring in new players, any suggestions on that issue?

This link that Darker provided seems to suggest that they can still be accessed. Is it possible we can go that route? Or should we start using xfire has our standard bearer?

Also, on the subject: should we consider expanding to other tactical games as a way to grow the clan with new players? We do like to play other tactical games like GR and such.

Suggestions anyone?

Bottomline: WE CANNOT GIVE UP!! Like my father says...There are always options. We just need to find one that works for us. Not only us, but the swat community as a whole.

UPDATE: UTF says that the engineering team for their server provider is working on a solution, with an official announcement tommorrow. Anyone know if we have the same one as them?
Next

Return to Chat